Sunday, August 15, 2010

Proud moment

Well, I guess I am finally allowed to say. Well, technically, on Tuesday I can say, but since I got the paper in the mail, I will post anyways!

Early in the summer, I got a call from our wonderful Attendance Lady, Janice, and she said Mr. Sheffield, our principal, just got the kids test results and that I needed to come down to see them. (They know I stress about it and always want to know right away and find it funny that I stress when I know my kids will do good!) Well, I said, I need to take a shower and I'll come by in a little. She insisted I come RIGHT NOW but I said, I will shower and be over....I was outside weeding when they called! So I got showered and dressed and got the kids in the car and drove over to the school. Manny came with cuz we were going to Costco right after. We walk in and they hand my three sheets of paper. Noah was on top and his sheet said 600 math, 600 Language Arts, I was a little shocked. Then I turned to Aris....600 Math, 600 Language Arts. I asked if it was a joke! Then I looked at Aiden's, Advanced in all areas! The Principal said he was so proud of all my kids. Aiden scored the highest in all of fifth grade and Ari and Noah had perfect scores! This is such a huge deal because the test is designed to not be able to score a perfect score. (Last year, only one kid in our entire district of 17,421 kids got a perfect score on BOTH tests....Ari missed ONE question in Language Arts last year!) I also found out that my two children are the only two in the school this year, and will know on Tuesday if they are the only ones in the district for sure. As of now, we believe they may be!
We are so proud of all three kids! The tests were long and hard....two weeks of testing every day for a few hours a day plus a week of pre-testing where they run the class like they are testing them. They all tried their hardest and it paid off!
Ari and Noah will also be in the local newspaper because of their perfect scores. A reporter is supposed to interview them later in the week (after the tests are public) and will write an article on them! I think I will have to get a million copies to keep forever! When the article is written, I will try to post a link and maybe a copy of the article!
Ari and Noah are most excited about the money they will be receiving. We (Jason and I) do not reward the kids for grades or testing scores or anything like that because we expect the kids to do their best without being paid for it. But, at a pre-testing assembly, their principal, Mr. Sheffield, told the entire school, any child who gets a perfect score on both tests, he will buythem an iPod. And if they have an iPod already, he will give them $100! So, being kids, they are already planning on how they will spend their money. Ari wants to go to Claire's and Justice to go shopping, and Noah, well he is a boy.....he wants a Hamster!

1 comment:

MikesDork said...

congrats to both of them!